Stoneage Romeos. Hoodoo Gurus.




1. I want you back.

I can still recall the time, she said she was always mine, then she left as people do, and forgets what we've been through, does this sound familiar to you? It's not that she's gone away, it's the things I hear she has got to say about me and about my friends, when we've got no defense.

That's her, I'll never believe her again, she might have deceived all my friends, I know they will see in the end, what it all means when she says, I want you back, I want you back, I want you back, she says…

But what's worse, she thinks it's true, but that's just her, she always was a little bit confused, she's not worth the time I had to lose. That's her, I'll never believe her again, she might have deceived all my friends, I know, I see what it all means when she says, I want you back, I want you back, I want you back, she says…


2. Tojo.

Tracy, Tracy was angry, a bad mood, a bad mood, I told her, it's an ill wind, blows no good, blows no good. Then she told me, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin.

I said, Tracy, won't you listen, this is Christmas, don't you go, don't you go, she said, David, I wouldn't miss this for the world but I got to blow, I got to blow. Then she said again, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin.

Now she's gone, gone, gone just like the wind, I just sigh, I just sigh but I'm dreaming that I'm gleaming in her eye, in her eye. But I'll always hear, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin, Tojo never made it, Tojo never made it to Darwin… That year Santa never came.


3. Leilani.

Somewhere on a South Pacific island sits a young man staring at the surf, his native girlfriend died a death quite violent, a tribal sacrifice made to the earth. She was brown, her hair was black, her eyes were blue, a chief's daughter, Leilani was her name, she and her young man made a handsome two but lava tore them both apart again. Leilani, don't go to the volcano, he'd say, please don't go to the volcano.

They were saving for a little hut, she collected sea-shells every day, everynight they'd share a cigarette but the ancient, angry gods got in the way. Leilani, don't go to the volcano, he'd plead, please don't go, I’ll miss you so.

Still the young man sits upon the beach, he's staring misty-eyed out into space, he's thinking about his girlfriend, of late, deceased, at least her death had purpose; now his life is a waste. Please don’t go, I love you so…


4. Arthur.

Arthur played the bass, he had an angel's face, jiving with the Hoodoos, man, no one could take his place, no, no, no. He needed extra cash do he drove his brother's cab, the day we heard the news, you know, it really hit us bad, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was the day that Arthur died, that was the day that Arthur died.

A black gelato van finished for the day, met with Arthur's taxi head down St. Kilda way, by the Prince of Wales, that was the way that Arthur died, upon the day that Arthur died.

Arthur played the bass, he had an angel's face, jiving with the Hoodoos, man, no one could take his place, no, no, no, the day that Arthur died, the day that Arthur died.


5. Dig it up.

My girlfriend lives in the ground, my friends ask why she's not around, she won't come home, I'm so alone, you'll never know. You can't bury love, you've gotta dig it up, yeah, you've gotta live it up.

I take her flowers each day, I place them over her grave, I want her back because I look so bad, so bad in black, like a maniac. You can't bury love, you've gotta dig it up, yeah, you've gotta live it up.

Please, darling, come home to me, well, I'll make you so happy, you will see, I'll paint your room in pink and blue, I'll even choose the colour scheme for you, you can't take away my love, I'll never give it up, yeah, I'm gonna dig it up, don't tell me, don't, I don't want to know.

My girlfriend lives in the ground, my friends, you ask me why she's six feet down, I can't tell you why ’cause if I even try I'd fall down flat on my face and I'd cry, you can't take away my love, I'm gonna dig it up, I'm gonna live it up, yeah, I'm gonna dig it up, dig it up. I'm never gonna stop with that loving cup, gotta fill it up.


6. (Let's all) turn on.

Shake some action, psychotic reaction, no satisfaction, sky pilot, sky saxon, that's what I like, that's what I like, blitzkrieg bop to the jailhouse rock, stop, stop, stop at the hop do the bluejean bop, that's what I like, that's what I like, that's what I like.

Better get off my cloud 'cos two's a crowd, better get off the phone, there's nobody home, I'm gonna work it on out, I'm gonna twist and shout, I'm gonna ride a white swan and get it on, let's all turn on.

Born to lose those summertime blues, in blue suede shoes, le Hoodoo Gurus, that's what I like, that's what I like, waiting for my man, baby, can the can, I wanna hold your hand, remember Sam the Sham? That's what I like, that's what I like, that's what I like.

Better get off my cloud 'cos two's a crowd, better get off the phone, there's nobody home, I'm gonna work it on out, I'm gonna twist and shout, I'm gonna ride a white swan and get it on, let's all turn on.

When you walk in the room, sunny afternoon, a-wop-bop a-loo-bop, a-lop-bam-boom, that's what I like, that's what I like, I like sugar, sugar, talk, talk, money, honey, boardwalk, who wears short shorts? We wear short shorts, that's what I like, that's what I like, that's what I like, turn on.


7. Death ship.

I am the captain of a ghostly crew, sail the seven seas with nothing to do, the girl that I thought was untrue really loved me, bo, ho, ho. Near hidden reefs we appear in the gloom, luring mariners to their doom, as we're condemned, we condemn others too, who would love me, who? Would You? I'm asking you.

I'm on the death ship, I sail the seas alone, death ship, I can call no port home, lost souls cry to hell in the wind, let us in, let us in, let us in. Death ship, I sail the seas alone, death ship, I can call no port home, lost souls cry to hell in the wind, let us in, let us in, let us in.

I need somebody who will die for me to free me of this misery, I need someone who will cry for me, really love me, really…


8. In the echo chamber.

As I was out walking home alone one night, I saw this man approaching, he wore a coat of white, he said, you don't know me, but you'll very soon find out, then the world was darkness as a cloth, clamped around my mouth. Where am I? I don't know how can I escape?)

Slowly I recovered, my head was aching bad, I was laying on the carpet inside this madman's lab, then a voice was speaking from behind a glass-walled booth, it said, welcome stranger, we've got some serious work to do. Where am I? Where am I? Someone say more, what's his fiendish plan?

He said, you're my guinea-pig, I'm an unsound engineer, I'm going to see how much a man can dig a thousand voices in his ever-decreasing human ear.

In the echo chamber I almost went insane, even my own heartbeat caused my eardrum pain, it was like a Phil Spector nightmare, the echo machine ran wild, it was louder, getting louder, I thought that I would die. Where am I? Say more, I never got out of there though I've tried and tried for twenty-more years, that's why I am where I am now. Where am I? I'm gonna tear it down before I go, Michaelangelo, you know.


9. Zanzibar.

Did we ever meet in Zanzibar, two Caucasians at the town bazaar, are you who you say you are? Did you offer me a Dutch cigar, you must have thought you were so bourgeois, are you who you say you are? After all these years you haven't changed at all but I can't say you look the same.

Summer days are hot in Zanzibar and at night the sky is filled with stars, listen, you can hear guitars. Native people, skins as black as tar, wear bright-coloured robes in Zanzibar, they've never even heard of Ska, on a tour of limestone caves, did we see where traders kept their slaves, was that how we spent the day? After all these years, you haven't changed at all but I can't say you look the same.

I have never been to Zanzibar, I have always thought it was too far, you're not who you say you are, you're not who you say you are, you're not who you say you are.


10. I was a kamikaze pilot.

I was a, was a kamikaze pilot, they gave me a plane, I couldn't fly it home, taught how to take off, I don't know how to land, they say it doesn't matter and I just cannot understand. I was a kamikaze pilot, they gave me a plane, I couldn't fly it home.

Left my happy homeland in a zero, I got engine trouble so I couldn't be a hero, do you think I care? Now I'll keep my two feet on the ground 'cause when you're in the clouds everybody tries to shoot you down. I was a kamikaze pilot, they gave me a plane, I couldn't fly it home, I couldn't fly it home.

On an island there ain't too much to do, look after number one 'cause I think I can see Lee Marvin chasing after you, take me, wake me, tell me when it's over, I've been waiting for years, I can't live off the doe, no, not for you.. I was a kamikaze pilot, they gave me a plane, I couldn't fly it home, I couldn't fly it home, I couldn't fly it home. Cherry blossoms falling down…


11. My girl.

Once a girl took my love until I couldn't give anymore, then I tried to pretend not to see what I couldn't ignore. My girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, anymore.

I took her to the dance and then I didn't see her all night, then a friend said he saw her with some other boy just outside, when I went out she was alone, she said, I would like to go home, I asked her, who were you with? She said, no one, I could tell that she lied and a voice said inside. My girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, anymore.

My girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, anymore, my girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, my girl don't love me at all, anymore, she don’t love me, my girl don’t love me.


· · ·
Año: 1984.
Procedencia de la banda: Sydney, Australia.
· · ·

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario