The Modern Lovers. The Modern Lovers.




1. Roadrunner.


Roadrunner, roadrunner, going faster miles an hour. Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop, with the radio on. I'm in love with Massachusetts and the neon when it's cold outside, and the highway when it's late at night. Got the radio on, I'm like the roadrunner.

Alright, I'm in love with modern moonlight. 128 when it's dark outside, I'm in love with Massachusetts, I'm in love with the radio on. It helps me from being alone late at night, it helps me from being lonely late at night. I don't feel so bad now in the car, don't feel so alone, got the radio on. Like the roadrunner, that's right.

Said welcome to the spirit of 1956, patient in the bushes next to '57. The highway is your girlfriend as you go by quick, suburban trees, suburban speed and it smells like heaven(thunder). And I say roadrunner once, roadrunner twice, I'm in love with rock & roll and I'll be out all night. Roadrunner, that's right.

Well now, roadrunner, roadrunner. Going faster miles an hour, gonna drive to the Stop 'n' Shop with the radio on at night, and me in love with modern moonlight, me in love with modern rock & roll. Modern girls and modern rock & roll, don't feel so alone, got the radio on. Like the roadrunner, O.K., now you sing Modern Lovers.

(Radio On!) I got the AM, (Radio On!) got the car, got the AM. (Radio On!) Got the AM sound, got the (Radio On!), got the rockin' modern neon sound, (Radio On!) I got the car from Massachusetts, got the (Radio On!), I got the power of Massachusetts when it's late at night, (Radio On!), I got the modern sounds of modern Massachusetts, I've got the world, got the turnpike, got the, I've got the, got the power of the AM.

Got the, late at night, rock & roll late at night. The factories and the auto signs got the power of modern sounds, alright. Right, bye bye!

2. Astral plane.

Tonight I'm all alone in my room, I'll go insane if you won't sleep with me, I'll still be with you. I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane, the astral plane for dark at night, the astral plane or I'll go insane.

Well I don't see you and it's getting dark, today we should have gone to a Central Park. Well don't you want to see me ever again? If not I'll meet you on the astral plane, the astral plane for late at night, the astral plane or I'd go insane.

Well we've known each other from other lives, I want to see you today but I'll prove my knowledge of what's inside when I intercept you on the astral plane, the astral plane for late at night, the astral plane or I'd go insane. Alright.

Well I don't see you and it's getting dark, I'd have a lot to say. But you're not the one that I can say it to, at least not today. Oh, well I don't remember it afterwards, I don't yet know the words! But I know we've been together just this week, we've been together on the astral plane, the astral plane for late at night, the astral plane or I'd go insane.

Well Tonight I'm all alone in my room, I'll go insane if you won't sleep with me, I'll still be with you. I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane, the astral plane for dark at night, the astral plane or I'll go insane.

3. Old world.

Well the old world may be dead, our parents can't understand. But I still love my parents and I still love the old world. Oh, I had a New York girlfriend and she couldn't understand how I could still love my parents and still love the old world.

So I told her: I want to keep my place in the old world, keep my place in the arcane, 'cause I still love my parents and I still love the old world. Alright. I say old world, I say old world. I say.

Well I see a '50's apartment house bleak in the morning sun but I still love the '50's and I still love the old world. I wanna keep my place in the old world, keep my place in the arcane, 'cause I still love my parents and I still love the old world. Alright.

I see the '50's apartment house, it's bleak in the 1970's sun. But I still love the '50's and I still love the old world. I wanna keep my place in this old world, keep my place in the arcane knowledge. And I still love the '50's and I still love the old world.

Alright now we say bye bye old world. Gotta help the new world. Oh bye bye. I say bye bye bye bye old world.

4. Pablo Picasso.

Well some people try to pick up girls and get called assholes. This never happened to Pablo Picasso, he could walk down your street and girls could not resist his stare and so Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole.

Well the girls would turn the color of the avocado when he would drive down their street in his El Dorado, he could walk down your street and girls could not resist his stare. Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole. Not like you. Alright.

Well he was only 5'3" but girls could not resist his stare, Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole. Not in New York. Oh well be not schmuck, be not abnoxious, Be not bellbottom bummer or asshole, remember the story of Pablo Picasso.

He could walk down your street and girls could not resist his stare, Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole. Alright this is it, some people try to pick up girls and they get called an asshole. This never happened to Pablo Picasso, he could walk down your street and girls could not resist his stare and so Pablo Picasso was never called...


5. I'm straight.


I called this number three times already today, but I, I got scared, I put it back in place, I put my phone back in place. I still don't know if I should have called up, look, just tell me why don't you know if I'm out of place. 'Cause here's your chance to make me feel awkward and wish that I had never even called up this place.

I saw you though today, walk by with hippie Johnny, I had to call up and say how I want to take his place. So this phone call today concerns hippie Johnny, he's always stoned, he's never straight. I saw you today, you know, walk by with hippie Johnny, look, I had to call up and say, I want to take his place. See he's stoned, hippie Johnny. Now get this, I'm straight and I wanna take his place.

Now look, I like him too, I like hippie Johnny but I'm straight and I want to take his place. I said, I'm straight, I said, I'm straight. I'm proud to say, well I'm straight and I wanna take his place.

Now I've watched you walk around here, I've watched you meet these new boyfriends, I know and you tell how they're deep. Look but, if these guys, if they're really so great, tell me, why can't they at least take this place and take it straight? Why always stoned, like hippie Johnny is? I'm straight and I want to take his place. Oh I'm certainly not stoned, like hippie Johnny is, I'm straight and I want to take his place. I said, I'm straight, I said, I'm straight, I'm… I'm straight and I want to take his place.

All right you Modern Lovers what do you say? (I'm straight!) tell the world now, (I'm straight!) that's it, (I'm straight!) yeah I'm straight and I want to take his place.

6. Dignified and old.

M telephone never rings, she'd never call me. I hate myself today but I can see through this bitterness and sadness and so I won't die. Someday I think I'll be dignified and old. Well my friends say that I decieve myself and that I contradict myself and I can't say if they're right but I'm not ashamed. Oh I can take a challenge and so I won't die.

Someday I'll be dignified and old, I know it. And I say hey kids (Hey kids), I said hey kids (Hey kids). I say someday we'll be dignified and old, that's right. I said some day we'll be dignified, (hey kids, hey kids) someday we'll be dignified. (Hey kids, Hey kids), someday we could be dignified and old together.

Well now look at the mountain, my girl and I used to stand on the mountain and the sun shines, she's dead, and I cry. But I can see through this death and the sadness and so I won't die now, someday I wanna be dignified and old.

Well now, see the desert, I sit all alone in the desert and no girl understands me but I can see through this bleakness and grey and sadness. And well I won't die now, someday I'll be dignified and old. I say, you, don't die now, someday we'll be dignified and old together.


7. She cracked.

Well she was sensitive, she understood me, she understood the European things of 1943. But she does all these things that I can't stand, I can’t care if she stays with another man. She cracked, I'm sad, but I won't. She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right.

Well she cracked, I won't. She did things that I don't, she'd self destroy, necessary to self enjoy, I self develop, necessary to self help. She cracked, I'm sad, but I won't. She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right.

Well she cracked, I won't. She did things that I don't, she'd eat garbage, eat shit, get stoned. I stay alone, eat health food at home. She cracked, I'm sad, but I won't. She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right. Alright.

She cracked, I'm sad, but I won't. She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right. One more time, one more time. She cracked, I'm sad, but I won't. She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right.


8. Hospital.

When you get out of the hospital let me back into your life. I can't stand what you do, I'm in love with your eyes and when you get out of the dating bar I'll be here to get back into your life. I can't stand what you do, I'm in love with your eyes, oh, I can't stand what you do, sometimes I can't stand you and it makes me think about me that I'm involved with you, but I'm in love with this power that shows through in your eyes.

I go to bakeries all day long, there's a lack of sweetness in my life and there is pain inside, you can see it in my eyes. Oh, there is pain inside, you can see it in my eyes, makes me think about me that I've lost my pride, ut I'm in love with this power that resides in your eyes.

You live in modern apartments, well I even got scared once or twice. Last time I walked down your street, there were tears in my eyes. Well these streets we all know, they help us cry when we're alone late at night. Don't you love them too? That where you got your eyes? Oh I can't stand what you do, sometimes I can't stand you and it makes me think about me. How I'm involved with you but I'm in love with this power that shows through in your eyes.

Now... your world, it is beautiful. I'll take the subway to your suburb sometime, I'll seek out the places that must have been magic to your little girl mind. Now as a little girl you must have been magic. I still get jealous of your old boyfriends in the suburbs sometimes. And when I walk down your street probably be tears in my eyes. (I knew it would happen) I can't stand what you do, sometimes I can't stand you and it makes me think about me that I'm involved with you, but I'm in love with this power that shows through in your eyes.

So... when you get out of the hospital let me back into your life, I can't stand what you do, but I'm in love with your eyes.


9. Someone I care about.

Well I don't want just a girl to fool around with, well I don't want just a girl to ball, alright. What I want is a girl that I care about or I want nothing at all. Nothing at all. Alright. Well I won't pretend I like a girl if I really don't and act like she's great when she makes me feel appalled. All I want is a girl that I care about or I want nothing at all. Nothing at all.

Well I don't want some cocaine sniffing triumph in the bar, well I don't want a triumph in the car. I don't want to make a rich girl crawl, what I want is a girl that I care about or I want no one at all. Alright, listen to this now.

Picture this: I'm walking with my girlfriend, 28 misguided souls combined say, "We're moving in". There's a certain kind of girl that you care about so much, you say, "I don't care what you guys do to me, but her, don't touch!". 'Cause I don't want just a girl to fool around with, I don't want just a girl to ball. What I want is a girl that I care about or I want nothing at all. Oh alright.

Well I don't want a girl to fool around with no, I don't want just a girl to ball no, what I want is a girl that I care about or I want nothing at all. Alright, gentlemen.


10. Girlfriend.

I I would have walked the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Well, first I'd go to the room where they keep the Cezanne(s) but if I had by my side a girlfriend, then I could look through the paintings, I could look right through them. Because, I'd find something that I understand, I understand a girlfriend. That's a girl, said G-I-R-L-F-R-E-N. That's a girlfriend, baby, that's something that I understand, alright.

I walk through the Fenway, I have my heart in my hands, I understand a girlfriend. That's a girl friend, oh that's a G-I-R-L-F-R-E-N. Well that's a girlfriend, baby, that's something that I understand. Four o'clock in the afternoon in the Fenway, I have my heart in my hands. I understand a girlfriend, that's a girlfriend, that's a G-I-R-L-F-R-E-N. That's a girlfriend, oh baby, oh that's something that I understand.


11. Modern world.

Well there's sex in the sunny day that shines down on Boylston street and I love the U.S.A. so share the modern world with me. 'Cause I'm in love with the U.S.A. now, I'm in love with the modern world now, put down your cigarette and drop out of B.U. Alright, that's right.

Well out in the afternoon, out in the arid plane, we'll share a modern love under suburban rain. And me in love with the U.S.A. now, and me in love with the modern world now, put down the cigarette and act like a true girl, oh.

Well out on route 9 it's bleak and nearly dying, stop all this Greek(weak) stuff and drop out of B.U.! With me in love with the U.S.A. now. me in love with the modern world now, put down the cigarette and drop out of high school, oh, oh that's right.

Well I'm in love with the U.S.A. now, I'm in love with the modern world now, put down the cigarette and act like a true girl. Well listen. Well the modern world is not so bad, not like the students say, in fact I'd be in heaven if you'd share the modern world with me. With me in love with the U.S.A. now, with me in love with the modern world now, put down the cigarette and share the modern world with me.

12. Goverment center.

Well we've got alot alot alot of hard work today, we gotta rock at the government center. Make the secretaries feel better when they put those stamps on the letters. And they got alot alot alot of great desks and chairs, uh huh, at the government center. We gotta make the secretaries feel better when they put those stamps on all those letters.

We gotta rock-a rock-a rock-a nonstop tonight, uh huh, at the government center. Make the secretaries feel better when they put the stamps on the letters. Won't stop until we see secretaries smile, we gotta see some office boys, they're jumpin' for joy. Tell old Mr. Ayhern, "Calm down a while. You know that's the only way the center is ever gonna get better."

So let's rock-a rock-a rock-a nonstop tonight, uh huh, at the government center. Make the secretaries feel better when they put the stamps on the letters. We're gonna make 'em feel better, oh look out (Make them feel better - repeat).

We're gonna help them out, take all our equipment. Do rock & roll, that's right. Use that feeling you have inside, we're gonna transmit. Those secretaries will have to stand up and not be able to sit. Oh it's gonna be fun, oh we won't get scared, we can't keep it down. Oh that feelin' inside, we're gonna transmit it to life. Baby, aw modern dancin', yeah, yeah.


· · ·
Año: 1976.
Procedencia de la banda: Natick (Massachusetts), Estados Unidos.
· · ·

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario