Berlin. Lou Reed.




1. Berlin.

In Berlin, by the wall, you were five foot ten inches tall, it was very nice, candlelight and Dubonnet on ice, we were in a small café, you could hear the guitars play, it was very nice, it was paradise.


2. Lady Day.

When she walked on down the street she was like a child staring at her feet, but when she passed the bar and she heard the music play she had to go in and sing, it had to be that way, she had to go in and sing, it had to be that way. And I said no, no, no, oh, Lady Day, and I said no, no, no, oh, Lady Day.

After the applause had died down and the people drifted away she climbed down the bar and went out the door to the hotel that she called home, it had greenish walls, a bathroom in the hall. And I said no, no, no, oh, Lady Day, and I said no, no, no, oh, Lady Day…


3. Men of good fortune.

Men of good fortune often cause empires to fall while men of poor beginnings often can't do anything at all, the rich son waits for his father to die, the poor just drink and cry, and me I just don't care at all.

Men of good fortune very often can't do a thing while men of poor beginnings often can do anything, at heart they try to act like a man, handle things the best way they can, they have no rich daddy to fall back on.

Men of good fortune often cause empires to fall while men of poor beginnings often can't do anything at all, it takes money to make money, they say, look at the Fords, but didn't they start that way, anyway, it makes no difference to me.

Men of good fortune often wish that they could die while men of poor beginnings want what they have and to get it they'll die, all those great things that live has to give, they wanna have money and live, but me, I just don't care at all. Men of good fortune, men of poor beginnings…


4. Caroline says I.

Caroline says that I'm just a toy, she wants a man, not just a boy, oh, Caroline says, oh Caroline says, Caroline says she can't help but be mean or cruel, or oh so it seems, oh, Caroline says, Caroline says. She says she doesn't want a man who leans, still she is my Germanic queen, yeah, she's my queen.

The things she does, the things she says, people shouldn't treat others that way but at first I thought I could take it all, just like poison in a vial, hey she was often very vile but of course, I thought I could take it all.

Caroline says that I'm not a man so she'll go get it, catch as catch can, oh, Caroline says, yeah, Caroline says, Caroline says moments in time can't continue to be only mine, oh, Caroline says, yeah, Caroline says. She treats me like I am a fool but to me she's still a German queen, oh, she's my queen, queen…


5. How do you think it feels.

How do you think it feels when you're speeding and lonely, come here baby, how do you think it feels when all you can say is, if only, if only I had a little, if only I had some change, if only, if only, only, how do you think it feels and when do you think it stops?

How do you think it feels when you've been up for five days, come down here mama, hunting around always, oh, 'cause you're afraid of sleeping, how do you think it feels to feel like a wolf and foxy, how do you think it feels you always make love by proxy, how do you think it feels and when do you think it stops, when do you think it stops?


6. Oh Jim.

All your two-bit friends they're shooting you up with pills, they said that it was good for you, that it would cure your ills, I don't care just where it's at, I'm just like an alley cat, and when you're filled up to here with hate, don't you know you gotta get it straight, filled up to here with hate, beat her black and blue, and get it straight.

Do, do, do, do, do, do, when you're looking through the eyes of hate, all your two-bit friends, they're ask you for your autograph, they put you on the stage, they thought it'd be good for a laugh, but I don't care just where it's at ‘cause honey I'm just like an alley cat, and when you're filled up to here with hate, don't you know you gotta get it straight, filled up to here with hate, beat her black and blue, and get it straight.

Oh Jim, how could you treat me this way, hey, hey, hey, how could you treat me this way? Oh Jim, how could you treat me this way, hey, hey, how could you treat me this way? You know you broke my heart ever since you went away.

Now you said that you love us but you only make love to one of us, oh Jim, how could you treat me this way? You know you broke my heart ever since you went away, when you're looking through the eyes of hate, oh, when you're looking through the eyes of hate, oh…


7. Caroline says II.

Caroline says, as she gets up off the floor, why is it that you beat me, it isn't any fun, Caroline says, as she makes up her eyes, you ought to learn more about yourself, think more than just I. But she's not afraid to die, all her friends call her Alaska, when she takes speed they laugh and ask her, what is in her mind, what is in her mind.

Caroline says, as she gets up from the floor, you can hit me all you want to but I don't love you anymore, Caroline says, while biting her lip, life is meant to be more than this and this is a bum trip. But she's not afraid to die, all her friends call her Alaska, when she takes speed they laugh and ask her, what is in her mind, what is in her mind.

She put her fist through the window pane, it was such a funny feeling, it's so cold in Alaska, it's so cold in Alaska, it's so cold in Alaska.


8. The kids.

They're taking her children away because they said she was not a good mother, they're taking her children away because she was making it with sisters and brothers and everyone else, all of the others, like cheap officers who would stand there and flirt in front of me.

They're taking her children away because they said she was not a good mother, they're taking her children away because of the things that they heard she had done, the black Air Force sergeant was not the first one, and all of the drugs she took, every one, every one, and I am the water boy, the real game's not over here but my heart is overflowing anyway, I'm just a tired man, no words to say, but since she lost her daughter it's her eyes that fill with water and I am much happier this way.

They're taking her children away because they said she was not a good mother, they're taking her children away because number one was the girl friend from Paris, the things that they did, ah, they didn't have to ask us, and then the Welshman from India, who came here to stay.

They're taking her children away because they said she was not a good mother, they're taking her children away because of the things she did in the streets, in the alleys and bars, no, she couldn't be beat, that miserable rotten slut couldn't turn anyone away.

I am the water boy, the real game's not over here, but my heart is overflowing anyway, I'm just a tired man, no words to say, but since she lost her daughter it's her eyes that fill with water and I am much happier this way.


9. The bed.

This is the place where she laid her head when she went to bed at night, and this is the place our children were conceived, candles lit the room brightly at night, and this is the place where she cut her wrists, that odd and fateful night, and I said, oh what a feeling, and I said, oh, what a feeling.

This is the place where we used to live, I paid for it with love and blood, and these are the boxes that she kept on the shelf filled with her poetry and stuff, and this is the room where she took the razor and cut her wrists that strange and fateful night, and I said, oh, what a feeling, and I said, oh, what a feeling. I never would have started if I'd known that it's end this way, but funny thing, I'm not at all sad that it stopped this way.

This is the place where she laid her head when she went to bed at night, and this is the place our children were conceived, candles lit the room brightly at night, and this is the place where she cut her wrists that odd and fateful night, and I said, oh, what a feeling, and I said, oh, what a feeling.


10. Sad song.

Staring at my picture book, she looks like Mary, Queen of Scots, she seemed very regal to me, just goes to show how wrong you can be, I'm gonna stop wasting my time, somebody else would have broken both of her arms. Sad song, sad song, sad song, sad song.

My castle, kids and home, I thought she was Mary, Queen of Scots, I tried so very hard, shows just how wrong you can be, I'm gonna stop wasting time, somebody else would have broken both of her arms. Sad song, sad song, sad song, sad song…


· · ·
Año: 1973.
Procedencia de la banda: Brooklyn (Nueva York), Estados Unidos.
· · ·

1 comentario:

Demian Sebastian dijo...

Sin duda alguna una de las obras MAS ADMIRABLES en la Cultura Rock del siglo XX. No apreciado en su tiempo, este disco es el reflejo de las más profundas y sórdidas emociones que puede atravesar el hombre en una relación de mutua desesperación. Fascinante disco. Lou Reed es un maldito GENIO!!!!!

Publicar un comentario